Minutes – September 8th 2020

Minutes of the  Meeting of Lydford Parish Council held online on Tuesday 8th September 2020, 7.00pm 

Present:  CllrSquires (Chair); Cllr. MacIntyre;  Cllr. Skeaping; Cllr Blackmore; Cllr Cook; John Bright (Clerk); Cllrs Mott & Southcott (Borough Councillors).

Meeting commenced 7:00pm

1) Public Discussion:

There being no public present it was resolved to proceed directly to the agenda items.

2) Apologies for absence:

Cllr. Grigg. Accepted.

3) Declarations of interest: 


4)   Minutes of previous meeting:

Approved as a true record. Proposed – Cllr Squires, Seconded – Cllr Cook. All in favour. The agreement to be noted on the published minutes.

5)  Matters arising from previous meeting:

Cllr Skeaping proposed a vote of thanks to Rob Taylor for his assistance in dealing with the dead and dying trees on land adjoining the Lydford Castle site. Seconded Cllr Squires. All in favour. Cllr Skeaping to pass on the Council’s thanks. (AP1)

6) Reports from Outside Bodies

Cllr Squires – Nicholls Hall. Although the Post Office outreach service at the hall has resumed it remains closed for general use. The Trustees have begun to explore ways to re-open the hall in a Covid-safe fashion. Cllr Cook stressed that there are a number of village groups wishing to resume, and urged Trustees to open the hall as soon as possible.

7) Report from Borough Councillors:

A report from Cllr Mott had been previously circulated to Councillors. Briefly –

  1. Government grants will be available from the end of September to assist homeowners carry out energy efficiency improvements to their properties. Further details can be found: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/apply-for-the-green-homes-grant-scheme

ii)    Central Government is looking to consult on a number of different initiatives:

  1. changes to current planning rules, intended – amongst other things – to ensure that more land is available for development where it is needed. This consultation ends on 29th October. https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/planning-for-the-future

Cllr Southcott wanted to remind parishioners that whilst emails appear to have worked in the instance of Silver Street, potholes and other faults / defects relating to the highway are most properly reported on the Devon CC Highways Department website: https://www.devon.gov.uk/roadsandtransport/report-a-problem/

8) Covid-19 crisis

Nominations are invited for people who have responded to the Coronavirus crisis; particularly those who have volunteered to help or support others in these critical times. The national form can be found online: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-honours-nomination-form

9) Climate Emergency (Standing Item)

Councillors are keen to advance Lydford’s contribution to sustainability, and are exploring install charging points beside the public toilets in the village. Cllrs Squires and MacIntyre to investigate grant possibilities and report back. (AP2)

10) Public toilets (Standing Item)

Councillors noted with disappointment the damage caused to the toilets and thefts of paper that have occurred over the summer months. 

The potential cost for cleaning the toilets for the whole of the 2021 season was discussed. Initial calculations, based on opening the toilets at Easter and closing them at the end of October 2021, is that cleaning alone will cost over £5,000. The possibility of installing a “pay-on-entry” system was discussed. Clerk to investigate possibilities and report to next month’s meeting. (AP3)

11) VAS

Councillors agreed to Coeval’s additional charge of £250 for installation and hope to be able to report completion at next month’s meeting. Clerk to communicate with Coeval (AP4) Proposed Cllr Squires, seconded Cllr MacIntyre. Passed by a majority.

12) Finances

a) Payments: 

Cllrs resolved to make the following payments –

  1. J Bright                              £ 299.82          (Pay September)        
    1. HMRC                               £ 70.40            (PAYE September)  
    1. Jade Tennant                    £ 775.00          (Toilet cleaning August)
    1. Neil Grigg                          £ 20.91            (Toilet supplies)
    1. Evans Plumbing                £162.50           (Reinstate & repairs toilets)
    1. Neil Grigg                          £26.00             (Toilet supplies)


Cllrs noted the payments made by the Clerk in August –

  1. J Bright                                          £ 501.78          (Pay August + back pay)
  2. HMRC                                           £ 121.00          (PAYE August)
    1. Jade Tennant                                £ 275.00          (Toilet cleaning, July)
      1. Signs Express                               £ 77.93            (Toilet signs)
      1. J Bright                                          £ 37.63            (Toilet supplies)
      1. J Bright                                          £ 12.50            (Plaque – public bench)
      1. Neil Grigg                                      £ 19.91            (Toilet supplies)

c) Cllrs resolved to authorise the clerk to purchase a replacement Council laptop of the type recommended by Cllr MacIntyre.

Proposed – Cllr Blackmore, seconded Cllr Skeaping. All in favour.

13) Planning Applications

Decisions from DNP on three planning applications were noted by Councillors:

  • 0280/20 Brambleside – grant of certificate of lawful use – refused
  • 0299/20 Barberry Cottage – construction of front porch – approved
  • 0310/20 6 South View – demolition of single storey structure & replacement – approved

14) Correspondence

A parishioner raised a concern that tractors might be driving through the village at a greater speed than is appropriate. Councillors agreed to raise awareness of the problem through a media campaign, but that the Parish Council had no powers over users of the highway. (AP5)

15) Other Business by permission of the Chair


Meeting closed 20:05

Next meeting Tuesday 13th October 2020, 19:00. This meeting to be held online.


AP1Cllr Skeaping to communicate Council’s thanks to Rob Taylor 
AP2Cllrs Squires & MacIntyre to investigate grant opportunities for installing charging station 
AP3Clerk to investigate pay on entry systems for public toilets 
AP4Clerk to communicate with Coeval re installing VAS 
AP5Clerk to include observations re “dangerous” traffic in parish magazine and online communications