Minutes – February 15th 2022


From the Clerk: John Bright

website:www.lydfordparishcouncil.com email:clerk@lydfordparishcouncil.com

Minutes of the monthly meeting held on

Tuesday 15th February 2022, 7:00pm

At the Nicholls Hall, Lydford

  1. Public Session (15 minutes or at the discretion of the Chair)

No public present

  • Apologies for Absence


Present; Cllr Squires (chair), Cllr Cook, Cllr Blackmore, Cllr Grigg, Cllr Tainsh, Cllr Skeaping, Cllr MacIntyre. John Bright (Clerk), Cllr Sanders (DCC), Cllr Southcott (WDBC)

  • Declarations of Interest 



4.     Minutes of the meeting held 11th January 2022

It was resolved to agree the minutes of the previous meeting, proposed Cllr Grigg, seconded Cllr Skeaping, all in favour.

  • Matters arising from the meeting 11th January 2022

(For information only)

  • Lengthsman – there was a conflict with the work done by WDBC road cleansers and that done the previous day by our lengthsman. Do WDBC have a timetable of when sweeping/ cleansing is scheduled to take place? (AP1
  • It would help to reduce the amount of work needed from the lengthsman going forward if the Council could find a way to encourage residents to maintain the small piece of road outside their own properties (AP2)
  • Update on matters that have arisen since last meeting

(For discussion & information only)

The Saving Devon’s Treescapes group has agreed that Lydford can hold a tree hub again next year

  • Reports from Outside Bodies


  • Borough Councillors Report 
  • WDBC have declared a housing emergency in the borough
  • SpeedWatch Lydford has been uploaded to the WDBC website. 
  • Climate Change Emergency (Standing Item)


  1. Public toilets (standing item)
  2. CCTV sign ordered
  3. Bill for electricity has been suspended
  1. Playground (standing item)
  2. ROSPA inspection is due in March
  1. Speedwatch

Councillors are becoming increasingly frustrated with the delays in approving the site for the SpeedWatch group to use in the village, which is delaying the start of operations. It was agreed that in the first instance the Clerk will chase the PCSO responsible for completing the risk assessment paperwork (AP3), and the Chair would write to the area commander for Tavistock should enquiries of the PCSO not be completed satisfactorily (AP4). 

  1. Finances
    1. Monthly payments

It was resolved to approve the following payments:

  1. J Bright                 £307.52             Salary February
  2. HMRC                                 £72.40             PAYE February
  3. A. MacIntyre                     £223.86             Website fees 2021
  4. Signs Express                    £64.27             Timetable printing
  5. Evans Plumbing     £35.00             Toilet shut down Oct. 2021

Proposed, Cllr Grigg, seconded Cllr Tainsh. All in favour.

Councillors were surprised by the cost of printing out the bus timetable. Clerk to write to bus company to enquire whether they be printing them in future. (AP5)

  • Monthly update

Councillors accepted the bi-monthly summary 

  1. Actions taken under delegated authority since last meeting:


  1. Planning Applications:


  1. Any other urgent business for discussion by permission of the chairman.

(For information only)

  • Recent tree work to A30 has exposed a deal of litter which is showing Devon in a poor light. The question was passed to DCC Cllr Saunders. (This is Highways England’s issue but I’ll pass this on, as we’re already pressing them on the A38 going into Plymouth).
  • Condition of surface of car park, no markings visible. Clerk to write to DNP re state of car park. (AP6)

Meeting closed 19.45

Signed                                                 (Chair) Date 

Date of next meeting – Tuesday 8th March 2022

Nicholls Hall, Lydford

Action Points

AP1Clerk to enquire of WDBC whether they have a timetable for the cleansing of roads in the villageNot one that they are prepared to share with parish councils.
AP2Clerk to include piece in parish newsletter encouraging residents to tend to the properties where they abut the highway, saving the need to deploy a lengthsmanIncluded in the February parish newsletter
AP3Clerk to enquire of PCSO Kevin Williams as to the progress of authorising the SpeedWatch site and when it will be authorised.Site authorised 1.3.2022
AP4Chair to write to unit commander for Tavistock reference lack of action on approving the SpeedWatch site.Action not required – site authorised.
AP5Clerk to write to Dartline enquiring as to whether they will be printing their timetables in future.Paper versions are printed when the timetables are revised, and are available on request. Hard versions are not printed.
AP6Clerk to write to DNP about the state of the car park in LydfordMessage passed to Rob the Ranger, who has forwarded it to Andrew Watson from DNP. Rob will attend the APM in May.